Sample Daytime Menu – CAFE IS CURRENTLY CLOSED UNTIL MAY 17TH 2021
Smaller menu : Our menus are currently smaller than normal. This is so we can keep our bakery and kitchen team safe. Thank you for your understanding
Multi – award winning Afternoon Teas served 2.00 pm – 3.30 pm
- Christmas Afternoon Tea – £22.50 Booking is highly recommended
Hot mulled wine to greet. Selection of finger sandwiches; scone,homemade orange curd, cinnamon clotted cream; selection of homemade cakes and fancies; choice of tea from our extensive tea menu.
- Cumbrian Cream Tea – £5.99
Sultana scone, homemade damson conserve, whipped Lakeland cream or Cornish clotted cream, pot of special house tea.
- Children’s Peter Rabbit Afternoon Tea – £8.99
Rabbit shaped sandwich of home roasted ham or egg mayonnaise; carrot sticks; flapjack or caramel shortbread; pot of Urawalla Estate tea, Sri Lanka or choice of juice Served on Wedgewood Peter Rabbit ware
SMALL Plates £9.50 served 11.45 am – 3.30 pm
Slice of homemade vegetarian pie : Dragon pie, crecy pie or cheese and onion pie
Mixed leaf salad, braised red cabbage ; chutney
Freshly Cut sandwiches
All our bread is entirely homemade in our bakery, on the premises, every morning. Choose from granary, white or brown bread. Served with a small leaf salad and a choice of soup or a side of triple cooked chips
The chutneys,relishes and dressing are all entirely home made made by us – some are available to purchase in the bakery shop to enjoy at home
- Home roasted ham, piccalilli
- Red Cheddar cheese savoury (v)
- Home roasted local turkey breast, cranberry and orange relish
- Free range egg mayonnaise and rocket (v)
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese
- Coronation Chicken
All our bread is entirely homemade, in our bakery, on the premises every morning. Choose from granary, white or brown bread. Served with a small leaf salad and a choice of soup or a side of triple cooked chips
The chutneys,relishes and dressing are all entirely home made made by us – some are available to purchase in the bakery shop to enjoy at home.
- Tasty Lancashire or Kendal Creamy cheese (v)
tomato and apple chutney
- Goats cheese, beetroot chutney (v)
- Local bacon and brie
With homemade cranberry and port relish
- Home roasted ham with Tasty Lancashire or Kendal Creamy cheese
Gluten free bread is available, (not homemade). Some of the dishes can be served using gluten free ingredients-please ask
- Toasted honeyed figs, balsamic roasted walnut, Inglewhites goats cheese salad, toasted pumpkin seeds, preserved cranberries, mixed leaves, honey vinaigrette.
- Potted Morecambe Bay Shrimps, toasted sourdough bread,salad
MAIN plates £14.50 served from 11.45 am – 2.30 pm
- Red lentil and tomato dhal topped with almonds, poppadoms, salad and mango chutney (V and vegan)
- Steak and Cartmel Ale pie, triple cooked chips, seasonal vegetables, rich gravy
- Beer battered haddock (Smaller portion £8.95)
- Hand cut chips, mushy peas, tartar sauce
- Breaded Scampi – (Smaller portion £8.95)
Hand cut chips, tartar sauce, garden peas
- Rich Fisherman’s Pie
- ( smoked haddock, cod, fresh salmon and prawns in a creamy dill sauce topped with mash potato)
- St Nic’s Burger, 4oz Cartmel Valley beef burger, breaded deep fried Camembert, cranberry and port relish, brussel sprout kimchi, triple cooked chips.
- Local roast turkey, force meat stuffing, pigs in blankets, cranberry and port relish, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables (smaller portion £9.50)
- Nut and apricot roast, red currant gravy, cranberry and port relish, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables (smaller portion £9.50)
Please advise the staff of any food allergies before ordering regardless of whether you feel a dish may contain certain allergens or not.
- Blackberry and apple crumble Traditional custard
- Sticky toffee pudding Double Jersey vanilla ice cream
- Fresh strawberry tart Fresh cream
- Chocolate and hazelnut brownie Double Jersey vanilla ice cream Chocolate sauce
- Christmas pudding brandy sauce
Small plate and pudding £14.95
Main plate( smaller portion) and pudding £14.95
Main plate ( larger portion)) and pudding £19.95
- Triple cooked chips (v) – £3.50
- Hazelmere homemade artisan breads, English butter or extra virgin olive oil and balsamic dip (v) – £3.25
Cakes and Desserts
- Almond and mincemeat tart £3.75
- Egg custard tartlet £2.79
- Caramel shortbread £2.99
- Flapjack ( vegan ) £2.99
- Currant slice £2.99
- Carrot cake £2.99
- Oat and fruit slice ( vegan ) £2.99
- Iced fruit bun £2.49
- Traditional mince pie £1.95
- Stollen £3.95
- Vanilla Slice £3.99
- Beesting A gooey indulgence filled with confectioner’s custard and topped with chewy dried fruits and nuts £3.99
- Strawberry tart £4.25
- Date and walnut fudge tart £3.50 with fresh Lakeland cream £5
- Chocolate and almond torte £3.50 with black cherry compote and double Jersey ice cream or fresh Lakeland ice cream £5.99
- Bramley apple pie £2.95 with double Jersey ice cream or fresh Lakeland cream £4.45
- Eccles cake £2.99 with Wensleydale cheese £4.50
- Yorkshire curd tart £3.50 With Wensleydale cheese £5.25
- Cumberland rum nicky A local cake originating from the Cumberland coast trade with the West Indies and consisting of dates, cherries, rum butter and ginger in a sweet pastry case £3.50 with creme fraiche £5.25
- Bakewell tart £3.50 with double Jersey ice cream £5
- Sultana scone or wholemeal fruit and walnut scone £2.49 with homemade damson conserve £2.99 with homemade damson conserve and whipped Lakeland cream or clotted cream £3.49
- Florentine £2.99
- Selection of English Lakes ice cream
- Raspberry sorbet ( vegan )
- Passionfruit and pineapple sorbet ( vegan )
- Vanilla ice cream ( vegan ) Hand made Ice Cream Company
- Chocolate ice cream ( vegan ) Hand made Ice Cream Company
- Strawberry ice cream ( vegan ) Hand made Ice Cream Company
2 scoops £3.50 3 scoops £5.25
Tasting notes for some of the cheeses
- Kendal Creamy : Sizergh Barn Farm, Kendal
Smooth and creamy with a full flavour
- Grandma Singletons Tasty Lancashire : Singletons, Longridge
Matured for a minimum of 10 months. Strong with a sharp bite. Named after the founder of the dairy
- Ribblesdale goats cheese, N.Yorkshire
Pasteurised. Smooth and mild with a creamy texture
- Flakebridge : Appleby Creamery, Cumbria
A red cheese made from pasteurised cows milk. A firm, slightly flaky cheese with a delicious subtle tang.
- Wensleydale : Hawes Dairy
Creamy and mellow with a slight tang.
- Smoked Chieftan: Appleby Creamery, Cumbria.
A creamy, award winning close textured mature ” cheddar style” cheese made from pasteurised cows milk with a mild smokey flavour.
DID you know ?
We make all our own conserves, chutneys, and relishes…. using fruit from our own garden when in season. They are all available from the bakery shop to take home.
Many of our suppliers are local farmers and family run businesses who we have had the pleasure of buying from for years and who are as passionate about food as we are ! Our milk and cream is delivered by Woodbine Dairies every morning..rain or shine ! Our meat comes from 2 local butchers , Burrows and Procters, and our Cumberland sausage from Higginsons. All our smoked foods are carefully prepared for us by Jon Stott at Cartmel Valley Smoke House and Brian Hargan at Flookbrough makes sure every day we get the best in fruit and vegetables. Frank Benson catches our shrimps from Morecambe Bay and our fish comes from Neves at Fleetwood, fresh from the docks ! The eggs we use are all from free range hens who wander happily on Geldards farm at Low Foulshaw Farm, Gilphin Bridge.